Thursday, May 1, 2014

Review 'Nowhere to Goa' by Doug E. Jones

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20772874-nowhere-to-goa

Nowhere To Goa is a travel adventure novel that takes off when Scott, a studious sophomore at Northwestern University, flies halfway around the world to bring home his troublesome twin brother who has just been released from jail in India after a run-in with the law; something to do with a bhang lassi, a rickshaw, and a holy cow!

But when his brother proves hard to reel in, Scott's three day jaunt turns into an epic journey, taking him from the islands of Thailand to the mountains of Nepal, from India's Pushkar Camel Fair to the sacred Ganges River, and ultimately to the balmy beaches lining the Arabian Sea, where the story reaches its climatic finish at one of Goa's infamous Full Moon Parties. 

In trying to find his brother, Scott loses himself in the pursuit of knowledge, purpose, and love as he hitches a hedonistic ride on South East Asia's backpacker scene and the quest for the endless summer that has him questioning everything he has-and hasn't learned.

A couple of weeks ago I was approached by Doug E. Jones with the question if I was interested in reading and reviewing his book ‘Nowhere to Goa’. Seeing that this book is a travel adventure novel, this book was totally different than other books I have read. And I definitely like a new challenge. Last week ‘Nowhere to Goa’ arrived in paperback at my front door, and I started reading it.

In ‘Nowhere to Goa’ we follow Scott. Scott is a 19 year old American, who lived his life completely in the safe zone. At least until his twin brother Mike gets in trouble in India. Mike is nothing like Scott. He likes living on the edge, make crazy decisions and plays around a lot. Now Mike is in trouble in India and Scott has been send there, by their parents, to make sure Mike is safely back in the plane to the USA. But Scott soon finds out that this trip is not going as planned and soon he finds himself in a big adventure. Scott’s adventure leads him to new friends, new love and above all a lot of new and exciting places. But most of all Scott finds himself.

When I first started reading this book I really didn’t know what to expect.  And I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I haven’t traveled a lot myself, so it sort of was a journey for me to. Scott goes to a lot of places I have never heard of before. He learns things I didn’t even know existed. And most of all he does things I will never ever do. But even though I couldn’t relate to a lot of thing Scott experienced, I liked this book and Scott’s journey. I was intrigued by the decisions he made and the adventures he got himself into.
I also loved the way Scott made many friends during his journey. He met a lot of different characters and they all had their own part in this book. I really liked that. Especially the characters Derek and Per. They were a lot of fun.

The downside about this book for me was that there was a lot of talk about a lot of different villages and cities. Sometimes I kind of lost my focus because I didn’t remember where this place was supposed to be and why Scott was there. For me this made reading this book kind of hard sometimes. But still I really enjoyed ‘Nowhere to Goa’ and would recommend it to every travel/adventure book lover out there. 

About the Author:


Doug E. Jones graduated from UCLA with a degree in English Literature and a minor in Creative Writing.

He has worked overseas in Australia, Japan, and Costa Rica and traveled extensively in Thailand, Nepal, and India where his novel takes place.

Back in the States, he wrote for the TV show Charmed.

For more information about 'Nowhere to Goa' visit Goodreads and Amazon.



2 comments:

  1. I love travel adventures because I want to travel and I can live vicariously. I think for this book, if the places are real places, I would keep a map close by. I did that recently for a book set in Turkey (my review today actually) and was able to follow where they went and stuff. Glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. I'll keep that in mind next time ;) Maybe if I kept a map nearby I would have liked it even more.

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com