Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sunday's Author Spotlight: Nikki Rae


Today I’m super excited to have Nikki Rae on the Sunday’s Author Spotlight. Nikki Rae is an independent author who writes mainly dark, scary, romantic tales. Nikki appeared numerous times on Amazon Best Seller lists and already published four books.

‘Sunshine’ is the first book in the Sunshine series by Nikki Rae and was published in 2013. ‘Sunshine’ has got an average rating on Goodreads of 3.89 stars and on Amazon an average rating of 4.1 stars. In 2014 Nikki published a short novella called ‘The Donor’, an intriguing story about a poor young girl. Nikki’s new book ‘Animal’ will be published in 2015!

About 'Sunshine' (Sunshine #1):

 

Sophie Jean is pretty good at acting normal. She can pretend she’s not allergic to the sun. She can hide
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16637812-sunshine
what her ex-boyfriend did to her. She can cover up the scars she’s made for herself. Ignore anything. Forget anything.
Then Myles enters her life, and he has more than a few secrets of his own. Sophie discovers that when she's with him she is feeling too much. Remembering too much.

It’s one thing covering up her own dark past, but does she really need to worry about people finding out just how much Myles likes her? Or that despite how much she doesn’t want to repeat past mistakes, she kind of likes him back? Not to mention the fact that she now has to conceal that Myles drinks blood-that he says he’s about four hundred years old.

But Sophie can deal with this little glitch, no problem. Even if she’s putting the few people she loves at risk. Suddenly, those who were monsters before are just people, and the monsters? They’re real. Now being a normal human being is the least of her problems. Now she has to stay alive.

This book is available at Amazon, Smashwords and Barnes & Noble.

To read my review of 'Sunshine' please go here

About 'Sun Poisoned' (Sunshine #2):


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17906982-sun-poisoned
Sophie’s life has changed. She’s moved to New York, she’s playing music for new people, and she’s making new friends. Then there’s Myles, and the fact that he is now her boyfriend—and everyone knows it.
She’s not exactly normal, living in a half-human, half-vampire world, but she’s finally, truly happy. However, some parts of Sophie and Myles’ old lives still hide in the dark, waiting for the right opportunity to strike.
Sophie’s having nightmares again, but they aren't about her; Myles is hiding something as well, something Sophie isn’t sure she wants to know.

And one lie will change everything.

No matter how hard she tries to cover up the marks her monsters have left behind, they never truly go away, and Myles’ monsters are no different.
Once again, Sophie’s caught between life and death, but this time, only she can save herself.

This book is available at Amazon, Smashwords and Barnes & Noble.

About 'Sun Damage' (Sunshine #3):


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18275070-sun-damageLife wasn't what Sophie was expecting, so why should death be any different?
She’s come back from swimming between the two, and every problem she left is still there. And then some. 

There’s the human world, where she has a brother on the verge of ruins, band mates all set to go on tour, and people she thought she wouldn't be seeing for a long time showing up.
Then there’s her new world, where she’s seeing and hearing things that should not be heard or seen.
Where Myles knows more about her than she could have ever guessed. She still doesn't know exactly why Michael is tormenting her, but somehow, everything is connected. 

The monsters are closing in on all sides and the question is, will Sophie be able to defeat them before it all ends?

This book is available at Amazon, Smashwords and Barnes & Noble.

About 'The Donor' a novella:


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23249268-the-donorCasey Williams and her family are poor. Her parents work non-stop and so does she, just so they can keep the trailer roof from leaking.
They’re getting by fine enough when the headaches start. Then there’s the nosebleeds. And the inevitable doctor’s bills.
Fortunately for Casey, there’s MyTrueMatch.com: an exclusive, quick, and almost easy way to pay it all back before her parents even have to know.
All she has to do is give a man she’s never met whatever he wants from her body.
Inside or out.

This novella is available at Amazon.

This novella came out in three different parts. Check out my review of 'The Donor' part I, Part II and Part III.

Excerpt 'The Donor':


I joined MyTrueMatch.com over three months ago. I uploaded a picture of myself and typed a list of my favorite things, like jogging (to look athletic), reading (for intelligence), and painting (to appear creative). There were a few hits on my profile right away. All either spam emails for weight loss pills or  very creepy messages from guys whose interests included “banging” and “clubbing”. I wasn’t looking for a knight in shining armor, but I also wasn’t looking to get locked up in a basement being told to rub lotion on my skin or I’ll get the hose again either.
 I’d given up hope on finding anyone until a few weeks ago. There was no picture by his name, just the generic, 2-dimensional cartoon of a grey-faced man. He started off the conversation innocently enough:  

JonahBlack[5:00pm]: Hello. I think we have a few things in common.

JonahBlack[5:02pm]: I would really enjoy talking with you.

It wasn’t exactly poetic, but I hadn’t signed up for MyTrueMatch for poetry. If I wanted pretty words and flowers, I would have gone a more traditional route. A bar or movie. Somewhere normal people met and got to know each other. I scanned his profile to find that we did have a few things in common. He liked to read and he was into taking walks. Sounded legit enough to me. I waited a day or so before I responded so I wouldn’t look too desperate.

CaseyWilliams[11:00pm]: I think you might be right about that, but why so mysterious, Mr. Jonah Black?

I didn’t expect an automatic response, but there it was, glowing on the screen of my computer in blocky blue letters:

JonahBlack[11:02pm]: I thought we could talk and get to know each other instead.

JonahBlack[11:02pm]: How are you?

So began our month-long dance of getting to know one another. It wasn’t like we were falling in love. That’s not what either of us were after anyway. Throughout our conversations, I asked him questions and he answered without hesitation. I knew where he lived (Boston), his supposed age (39—21 years older than me), height (6’2”), build (average), eye color (hazel), hair color (brown), and so on. But I found it odd that he would tell me all of these things willingly yet not send me a picture of himself. I tried to convince myself that I didn’t care what he looked like. It didn’t matter.

CaseyWilliams[9:00pm]: So, you sound nice.

I typed once.

CaseyWilliams[9:01pm]: Why no picture?

JonahBlack[9:03pm]: I’m not photogenic.

CaseyWilliams[9:05pm]: Or, you know, you could be a 12 yr. old boy.

JonahBlack[9:06pm]: Or a 100 year old man.

CaseyWilliams[9:07pm]: Exactly.

During the short time we had been talking, I’d since Googled my grey-faced suitor. He had no Facebook that I could tell. No other form of social media. It was like he only existed within MyTrueMatch, like he only came to life when we were in front of our respective computer screens.
I was slightly uneasy that I couldn’t match a face with our conversations, but I didn’t want to waste time waiting for another decent guy to hit on my profile. He seemed normal enough, and I wasn’t about to get picky.
It was around this time that we started talking about when we would meet.

Praise for Nikki Rae's books:


I went into this series very hesitant, but ended up absolutely loving it. It’s an extremely underrated YA/New Adult paranormal romance series that is completely addicting and perfectly unique.

The real reason ‘The Donor’ is such an amazing novella (aside from the characters) is Nikki Rae’s writing.  She just has an absolutely amazing writing style.

I have to say that this author has an extreme talent with the pen (laptop). I’m still in awe over her use of the imagination and words….you have a new fan in me!

I couldn’t put it down and kept clicking on my Kindle, hoping that there was another page hidden.

About the Author:


Nikki Rae is an independent author who lives in New Jersey. She explores human nature through fiction, concentrating on making the imaginary as real as possible. Her genres of choice are mainly dark, scary, romantic tales, but she’ll try anything once. When she is not writing, reading, or thinking, you can find her spending time with animals, drawing in a quiet corner, or studying people. Closely.

For more information about Nikki and her book please visit her Facebook Author Page, her Blog, Amazon, Goodreads, TSU, Twitter, and Tumbler

Thank you for visiting Maureen's Books!

 
 

2 comments:

  1. I really like the covers of these, they look great! Very eye catching. I don't think I'd heard of them yet but they sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved those cover too. The first book in the Sunshine series was great, unfortunately I haven't been able to read more in this series. The Donor was also definitely a great story.
      Thanks for checking it out ;)

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com