Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sunday's Author Spotlight: Tudor Robins



Today I’m really excited to start with a new post on ‘Maureen’s Books’ called ‘Sunday’s Author Spotlight’. From today on every Sunday there will be another author in the spotlight. I’m really excited about this and can't wait to know what you guys think. Enjoy ;)

Today the first ‘Sunday’s Author Spotlight’ is about author Tudor Robins. Tudor Robins is a Canadian author and writes Young Adult Fiction. In 2013 Tudor's first book 'Objects in Mirror' was published, followed in June 2014 by 'Appaloosa Summer'. 'Appaloosa Summer' is the first book in a trilogy and has already a 4.33 average rating on Goodreads. Tudor also recently published the short story 'Hide & Seek'.

About 'Objects in Mirror':

 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16033542-objects-in-mirror
Grace is looking forward to spending her summer weekends at horse shows riding new and spirited horse Sprite to the medal podium. But things don't always go as planned. It seems that her summer is ruined when Sprite is sold by the riding stable to a new owner. Other opportunities present themselves however - Grace is now going to live her dream. She will be spending all summer working with horses in her new job helping the trainers at the stables. With handsome new coworker Matt and a fragile, damaged mare that needs extra special care, Grace's summer seems perfect. She can't hide from the truth though - the eating disorder that she is starting to acknowledge but not truly understand is rearing its ugly head and threatens to derail everything. Will she be able to heal herself along with the horses she is caring for? 

This book is available at Amazon.com and Amazon.ca.

About 'Appaloosa Summer':

 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22619628-appaloosa-summer
Sixteen-year-old Meg Traherne has never known loss. Until the beautiful, talented horse she trained herself, drops dead underneath her in the show ring.

Jared Strickland has been living with loss ever since his father died in a tragic farming accident.

Meg escapes from her grief by changing everything about her life; moving away from home to spend her summer living on an island in the St. Lawrence River, scrubbing toilets and waiting on guests at a B&B.

Once there, she meets Jared; doing his best to keep anything else in his life from changing.

When Jared offers Meg a scruffy appaloosa mare out of a friend’s back field, it’s the beginning of a journey that will change both of them by the end of the summer.

This book is available at Amazon.com and Amazon.ca.

To read my review of  'Appaloosa Summer' please go here!

About 'Hide & Seek: A Short Story':

 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23181631-hide-seek
Anna Docherty loves the woods. Until the night a game of hide and seek sends her running a little too far, a little too fast.

Lost in the dark, it doesn’t take long for Anna’s love of the forest to turn to terror.

When Ryan finds her, huddled in his childhood hideout, and leads her back to safety, Anna is forever grateful to him.

But is she grateful enough to fight her fear when Ryan’s the one who needs help?

 This book is available at Amazon.com and Amazon.ca.

To read my review of  'Hide & Seek' please go here!

 

Guest Post by Tudor Robins:


It’s hard to say good-bye to 2014 because it was such a great year. My whole (writing) life changed in 2014. It was exactly this time last year that I was planning the phone call to the publisher of my first novel, ‘Objects in Mirror’, to tell them I’d decided to self-publish my second novel, ‘Appaloosa Summer’.

The most positive reaction I got was along the lines of “It’s your business if you want to ruin your career,” and it went downhill from there. But, by then, I was committed (bridges fully burned) so I moved forward.

And I’m so glad I did! Self-publishing ‘Appaloosa Summer’ has been the best experience of my writing life. It allowed me to forge great professional relationships with editors, cover designers, layout experts, and more. It let me set my own schedule, so that now I’ll be able to deliver the next book in my Island Trilogy, ‘Wednesday Riders’, in the next couple of months – which is at least a year earlier than a traditional publisher would have brought it out.

Most importantly, the publication of ‘Appaloosa Summer’ has brought me closer to my readers than I ever thought I’d get to be. Readers have reached out to me, and I’ve been able to reply directly to them. I’ve met dedicated readers, who take their books seriously, and do all they can to support authors (here I am, as an invited guest on Maureen’s Books blog, just to prove that point!).

So, what’s next? Well, some things I know for sure. My main characters Meg and Jared will be back in ‘Wednesday Riders’ – to be released around March 2015 (if you want to be notified of exactly when, please sign up for my newsletter). I’m going to finish up at least one manuscript I’ve been sitting on, that’s full length, but not quite polished yet. And I’m going to keep trying to reach new readers.

As for the rest? Well, the world is full of surprises and, these days, the book world even more so. I’ll be rolling with the punches, trying to keep up with what’s new, and seizing opportunities as they arise.

With luck, at this time next year, I’ll be looking back on 2015 and wishing I didn’t have to say good-bye to it!

Praise for 'Appaloosa Summer':


From the first chapter, I fell in love with Meg and her story.

Through tragedy, romance, and animals, Tudor Robins pens a compelling story with a clear purpose. Yes, Appaloosa Summer is a relatively light read. However, that does not mean it should be overlooked.

This book was engaging. I would just sit down and read page after page after page, and it would take all my willpower to close the book and be productive.

The author has a way of inserting her characters into your consciousness, and there they stay.
Book, Mud and Compost. And Horses

If you ask me ‘Appaloosa Summer’ is definitely a book you should read if you are in need of a relaxing, nice and funny book. And all the talk about horses definitely makes you want to take a nice summer ride.
 

About the Author:

 

Tudor has had two main obsessions for as long as she can remember: books and horses. As a child, after reading all the horsey books she could get her hands on, Tudor started writing her own stories.

After earning degrees in English and Journalism, and working in almost every publishing-related job imaginable – including checking facts and writing magazine stories, coordinating print jobs for a printing company, and selling textbooks at universities and colleges – Tudor finally sat down and finished her first novel, and hasn’t looked back since. ‘Objects in Mirror’ was followed in less than a year by ‘Appaloosa Summer’, whose sequel, ‘Wednesday Riders’, will be out in early spring 2015.

The horse obsession also never waned. From Tudor’s first lunge line lesson at age eight, she moved onto showing hunter-jumper, then eventing. She’s worked as a summer camp riding instructor, and as a groom, preparing yearling thoroughbreds for the Keeneland sales and, of course, like her main characters, Grace and Meg, has mucked out her fair share of stalls. Tudor still enjoys riding at an eventing barn just outside Ottawa, in Carp, Ontario, and loves volunteering with a therapeutic riding program in Dunrobin, Ontario.

While she never copies people she knows in real life in her books, horses are fair game, and those who know the horses she rides, will recognize many of them in Tudor’s books.

For more information about Tudor Robins and her books please visit her website, Goodreads and Amazon, Or look for Tudor Robins on Pinterest and Facebook

Thank you for visiting Maureen's Books!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com