Monday, June 1, 2015

Kickstarter Promo 'The Angel at the Devil's Gate' by Mocha


Today I’m excited to help out the Kickstarter project for ‘The Angel at the Devil’s Gate’ by Mocha.  For those who don’t know about Kickstarter. Kickstarter is a site that helps raise funding for creative projects. People who back the project through donations receive rewards. Sounds fun right?! ‘The Angel at the Devil’s Gate’ is a psychological suspense and really sounds like an awesome read. Read more about this book and read the interview I did with Mocha. And don't forget to support the Kickstarter project!! ;)


About the Book:

 

Troubled teen Eli Nunn is moved back to Kansas City following the aftermath of a violent drug deal. Returning to a school where his ruthless reputation still thrives, Eli encounters and instantly connects with Angel, a beautiful and mysterious black-clad orphan. Their flourishing romance begins to grow darker when Eli learns details of Angel’s chilling past. Conflicted with alarm and intrigue, Eli accepts a proposal from Angel that puts both their relationship and lives in danger.
 





The Kickstarter Project:


The Interview:


Tell me about who Mocha is?

I’m a horror movie fanatic and a hoarder of books and makeup. Celebrity gossip and VH1 reality shows are a guilty pleasure of mine. I’m currently obsessed with Hollywood Undead and The Pretty Reckless, I listen to the two bands all day. I have a huge crush on Marcus Sakey, and I love learning new words; I keep a dictionary at the side of my bed.

When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

As a child, I spent most of my time in my head daydreaming. I’d spend hours thinking up all these weird scenarios. I finally put my ideas on paper, and it turned out I was actually pretty decent at it. I was painfully shy when I was younger, so I only let my mother and brother read my stories. It was the combination of the love for creating ideas and the interest on my mother and brother’s face that made me want to be a writer. 

What do you love most about being a writer?

As much as I love bringing an idea to life, I would have to say evoking emotions from my readers is what I love the most. While my novel was in the beta reading process, the response I received from my betas was completely satisfying. They were laughing one moment, anxious the next, then scared. Reading their emails was like being on an emotional rollercoaster ride. Knowing that my characters conjured so many feelings is what I love and one reason why I write.

Who inspired you to become a writer?

It was my mother and her encouragement that really made me want to become a writer. She read all my stories with such enthusiasm. She brought me to writer’s workshops on the weekends. She gave me the confidence to believe in myself and to chase my dream.

What are your favorite books?

‘Cry to Heaven’ by Anne Rice is one of my favorite books. Anne Rice in general is a fantastic author, but ‘Cry to Heaven’, in my opinion, really showcases her skills. I actually found myself yelling at the pages. She’s a brilliant writer. ‘Sharp Objects’ by Gillian Flynn is another one of my favorites. The subtle touches of dark humor interweaved into a suspenseful and chilling story was nothing short of genius. I still think about that book. 

What book are you reading right now?

I’m reading ‘Without Fail’ by Lee Child, the sixth in his Jack Reacher series. Jack Reacher is a bit of an obsession of mine, and he’s set a high standard for guys who want to take me out on a date. 

What did you like the most about writing your own book?

I loved the surprises that occurred each morning when I sat at my computer and began writing. I had a good idea of how the ending of the novel would be when I first began plotting the book, however, my characters, Eli and Angel, wanted things to go their way. I used to roll my eyes when authors would say “the character wrote themselves,” but I now completely understand what they mean. Eli and Angel came to life and altered the story to fit them. I would go to sleep at night with ideas of what I was going to write next. When I went to write the next morning, all the ideas I had were discarded, because it wasn’t what Eli and Angel wanted. I ended up not plotting anymore and just following Eli and Angel around in my head and wrote what they did.

How did you come to the idea of writing ‘The Angel at the Devil’s Gate’? And where do you get the inspiration from?

My inspiration came from watching a marathon of true crime investigations. The murders featured on the show were so conniving and insidious, yet I was completely intrigued by their schemes. I was about three or four episodes into the marathon when the idea for a novel popped into my head. I knew I wanted to write a novel centered around a well-plotted murder, however, I did not want to follow the structure of a crime novel where the detective is the protagonist. I wanted the story to be from the murder’s point of view with the gothic horror atmosphere I’ve fallen in love with in both literature and film.   

Which one of your characters has stayed with you the most? And why?

Angel has stuck with me the most. Angel was originally a character from another novel I began but later trashed. Years after that novel was discarded Angel still hung out in the back of my mind. Halfway through the true crime investigation marathon, I knew the character would fit perfectly into the novel I was planning. The character has been with me for five years now. I think it’s because Angel is so unlike any other character I have seen in films or read in books, which is why the character is so hard to get out of my head.

What are your future plans in writing?

I’m in the editing process of a new novel, ‘The Possession of Susan Rite’, which will be available to the higher-level pledgers who back my Kickstarter campaign upon its competition. I’m also doing a lot of research for my third novel. I’m pretty anxious to get started on it, it’s something I’ve been wanting to write about for a long time now.  

 

About the Author:

 

I was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri, and like most writers, I had a passion for writing as a child; however, I was terribly shy (I still am to a certain extent) and refused to enter any writing competitions or show my writing to anyone but my mother and brother. Nonetheless, I knew I wanted to be an author and it's a dream I strive to achieve. I attended the University of Central Missouri for journalism with a minor in creative writing.

I'm currently in the tedious yet delightful (sometimes) editing process of my second novel, ‘The Possession of Susan Rite’, and doing research for my third novel. If you have any questions or just want to chat, you can reach me on Twitter at my VERY original handle name: Mocha_Writer.

Thank you for visiting Maureen's Books!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com