Thursday, June 25, 2015

Learning My Way


I’ve been blogging for over a year now. I started Maureen’s Books because I simply adore reading, love books and love talking about books. I’ve been reading books for as long as I can remember and I honestly can’t remember a time I didn’t read. I grew up in a house filled with books and my favorite way to shop is going from one bookstore to the next. Although my mom and I can always talk about books, there aren’t many other people around me who love reading and talking about books. So when reviewing the books I read on Goodreads just wasn’t enough for me anymore, I decided to take the jump and start my own book blog.

These days, there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t spend on my blog, talking to other bloggers, making my blog posts and adding books to my incredibly long To Read List. And I love it. This blog is more than my hobby, it’s my passion and I can’t imagine ever getting bored of it.
Since I’ve always been a very ambitious person and a perfectionist I always try to think of things that could improve my blog. I surf the web a lot and try to read all the tips out there for new blogging ideas. Since I also work full time as a Nurse it’s definitely hard work at times. But I really love it, so it never seems as too much work.

Since starting Maureen’s Books I learned a lot about being a book blogger. Since I live in The Netherlands and only read English books, I didn’t expect to have a lot of review requests. But my mailbox has been filled with review requests from almost the beginning. And I’m so grateful and honored about that.
At first I said yes to every author that asked me for a review. I read everything I could get my hands on and at times it began to really stress me out because I wanted to read so much and just had to little time. So slowly on I learned that I just needed to say no to some review requests. I still find this very hard, but it’s necessary and it keeps me more relaxed and enjoying the books I do read more since I’m not on such a tight schedule.

I also learned that I can’t please everyone who contacts me about a review. I had some bad responses to the reviews I wrote about books I didn’t like so much. This really bothered me in the beginning because I always made clear that I would write my honest opinion. I never wrote a review with the intention to tear the book apart and I always try to be honest without being hurtful. But still some people really react badly. Nowadays I just try to think to myself that I did my best and was just honest. I don’t try to think about it too much and this definitely helped me out.

But the best thing I learned was that I don’t need to post something every day and just be myself. It’s okay to have days without a post. I still don’t really like it but I also don’t want to make something up really fast just because I wanted to have a blog post.
Maureen’s Books is a very important part of me and I love every day of being a blogger. This place is about the books I love, the genres I love to read and the authors I love to help out. It’s my little sanctuary in a very busy and sometimes a little crazy world.

And you my readers make every day better just by visiting!

What are the lessons you learned as a blogger? Do you have any tips to improve Maureen’s Books?


Thank you for visiting Maureen's Books!

 

6 comments:

  1. Wow...I just love your blog Maureen and can't think of any changes yet.. :)
    Isn't the blogging journey just wonderful and you have really enjoyed yourself which is the most important part. Keep reading and keep enjoying! :)

    -Nikita @Njkinny's World of Books & Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love the journey I had, and I'm looking forward to keeping my blog a place you love to visit. It's so much fun to get in contact with people like you, who also love reading. ;)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your journey, Maureen - it's very inspirational. It sounds like you're finding the right balance for you, so that your reading and blogging is a pleasure, not a chore. And hooray for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked my post. My journey in blogging will go on and I'm glad to have had a chance to read your books and review them.
      Thank you so much for stopping by ;)

      Delete
  3. I loved reading about your journey. I think it is so important to realize your blog is for pleasure and not a chore. I definitely understand the whole not wanting to go a day without posting, that's something I'm learning.

    Tina @ Tina, The Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's definitely the hardest thing a blogger.needs to learn. But I'm glad I'm finding my way in it.
      Thank you so much for stopping by ;)

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com