Thursday, October 1, 2015

Blog Tour 'Skinshifter' by Alycia Christine


Today I’m participating in the Blog Tour of ‘Skinshifter’ by Alycia Christine. This is the first book in the Sylvan Cycle series. ‘Skinshifter’ is a high fantasy novel and was published in September.
For more information and tour stops please visit the tour page.

 

About the Book:


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25991342-skinshifter?from_search=true&search_version=service
Skinshifters are a curse. The Asheken deadwalkers proved that fact when they used skinshifters to spy against the Sylvan races during the Second War of Ages. Now, after three centuries of peace, the deadwalkers have found a secret way back onto the Sylvan Continent and this time they seek not just to conquer their enemies, but to enslave them body and soul.

When the Feliconas Clan suffers the deadwalkers’ first raid, one werecat—a skinshifter who has concealed her abilities—survives the massacre. Even as Katja struggles with her grief and guilt over her murdered kin, she must unite with other Sylvan refugees to defeat the deadwalkers before they can butcher and defile the other races. But can this skinshifter trust her newfound allies or will their secrets prove even more treacherous than her own?

“As involved as it is vividly eloquent, Alycia Christine’s Skinshifter…is fueled by engagingly twisted fantasy elements, vivid imagery, appealing characters, rousing adventure and terse storytelling.”
–Bestsellers World

“Action is well done, tension is wonderfully detailed and maintained throughout, and fantasy readers will find in Katja an appealing, believable character whose quest and concerns drive a story line that is vivid, accessible, and involving.”
–D. Donovan, Senior eBook Reviewer, Midwest Book Review

This book is available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Smashwords.  

My Review:

Although the cover of ‘Skinshifter’, didn’t really make me want to grab a copy of the book, the book description did interest me. So I signed up for the blog tour and was really excited to start reading this book. I love a good fantasy story, and this book just sounded like a great one.

In ‘Skinshifter’ we meet Katje, a werecat who survived a massacre which killed her whole family. Now Katja is on the run for the Deadwalkers, an ancient species who escaped their prison and found a way into the Sylvan Continent.
While grieving, Katja meets Louraisha, another refugee who’s also on the run. Together Katja and Louraisha must find a way to defeat the Deadwalkers.

When I started reading ‘Skinshifter’ I didn’t really know what I could expect. The book description, is interesting but doesn’t really explain a lot.
‘Skinshifter’ really is a book that needs your complete attention. Especially in the beginning there is a lot to get used to and to get to know. At times I even needed to re-read some parts just to really get it. But I was glad I did that because this book really was worth the read.

‘Skinshifter’ is a unique fantasy story with a lot of different species. Maybe even to many to be honest. Why, do you ask? Well, this book was fascinating enough with the Deadwalkers, Skinshifters and Humans. But in this book there are many more creatures and it made it a little complicated at times because I just didn’t get their role in the story. And this was unnecessary if you ask me.
The whole Skinshifter species was really interesting as a main character. I just really have a thing for creatures who can change into humans etc.
The author also put some humor into this book. Since the main character is a werecat there were sentences as.. On the other paw… and… The issue at paw is… LOL!! Loved that.

The main character Katja was really fun to read about. She was tough, interesting and really brave. I especially loved the way she was able to put her grieve aside to help others. Katja was definitely feisty at times and it made me like her even more. This character never got predictable for sure. I also really felt for her when she needed to team up with other refugees. After her whole family got killed it was hard for her to trust people but especially in the fight with the Deadwalkers she really needed to trust others. I could totally get her troubles with trust after what she went through.

Overall I did enjoy this book. It was fun and really unique. A nice read but maybe a little too much fantasy for me. Sometimes a book just didn’t ‘Wow’ you, despite the fact you can tell this book is written in a good way. This book is that for me.

My Rating:


Guest Post Alycia Christine:


It’s 9 AM and I’ve been awake for three hours. I’m staring at my computer screen with a half-eaten bowl of cereal sitting on the desk in front of me. I was up at 6 AM this morning to make my husband’s lunch, send him off to school, and get ready for the day. This morning’s first load of laundry is just now tumbling around in the dryer and my hair is still wet from my shower. I’m searching through my music files with my socked feet propped up on the subwoofer, trying to find just the right music to fit the scene I need to write this morning. I settle on a creepy song from the first part of the Wall-E movie soundtrack and start typing.

The scene that I’m working on is set in the middle of a swamp. Long beards of Spanish moss cloak the crooked trees like tattered gray robes clothing decrepit old men. I smile at the description and continue typing. My gallant heroes are searching for a wizard rumored to live in this mysterious place. They desperately need his help to free a dryad noblewoman who’s been imprisoned by dark magic. If they don’t find the wizard soon, she will die. I know they’ll find him eventually, but I haven’t decided when. As the scene unfolds, I get a sense of the rhythm needed to keep the mood tense. None of my characters feel safe in this place of clawing trees and fetid breeze and their sense of danger grows with each new word. Then, in a flash of steel and magic, my characters are ambushed. They find themselves outwitted and outmatched by a brutal foe whose been secretly hunting them since the book’s beginning. A foe that they thought was dead. This time not even I’m sure how they’ll survive…

My cell phone vibrates against the side of my cereal bowl. I frown down at the little screen. It’s a text message from one of my close friends.

“Lunch today?” she asks.

I stare at the text. Since she lives across Dallas from me, lunch means putting on makeup and driving least 25 minutes across town in heavy traffic just to sit down for an hour-long meal and then drive back. Lunch with her is two hours gone from my workday. I squint up at my to-do list. If I’m going to make my editor’s deadline in two months I need to write at least five pages on the book today. I still have edits to finish from the last manuscript that my editor reworked. The final version of that book is due to distributors in two weeks and I have 35 pages left to polish. It’s crucial that I finish 10 pages of edits on that today or I’ll be in real trouble. I also have a guest blog to write, ARC copies of books to mail to reviewers, moving boxes left to unpack, more laundry to wash, dinner to cook, and a ton of resumes to send out. We’ve lived in this new city for a few weeks now and I have yet to find a job. I can’t really fathom the idea of taking on a full-time position on top of all of the work I already do, but my writing has never paid well enough to count as my main job, so I must.

I sigh. Then I turn back to the phone and type out a reply: “Sure! Where? When?”

It may mean two hours out of the middle of my day, but friends like her are the reason I write in the first place. She replies with the time and place and I smile. Then I go back to fighting villains beneath the tattered moss.

About the Author:


Alycia Christine grew up near the dusty cotton fields of Lubbock, Texas. She fell in love with fantasy and science fiction stories when her father first read Gordon R. Dickson’s ‘The Dragon and The George’ and Robert A. Heinlein’s ‘Have Spacesuit —Will Travel’ to her at age ten. Her love-affair with fiction deepened when Alycia took a creative writing course while attending Texas A&M University. After that class, she was hooked as a writer for life. Her subsequent B.S. degree in agricultural journalism not only helped to hone Alycia’s skills with a pen, but also with a camera. Today she uses her skills as a photographer to capture the beauty of the world around her and add additional perspective to her fiction and nonfiction writing. Don’t miss her upcoming books ‘Skinshifter’, ‘The Dryad’s Sacrifice’, and ‘Thorn and Thistle’ due out on September 25, 2015 and December 24, 2015.

‘Skinshifter’ is on sale for a limited time for only .99 cents for kindle (regularly $3.99)

‘The Dryad’s Sacrifice’, a Sylvan Prelude is also only .99 cents for kindle (regularly $2.99)

And ‘Thorn and Thistle’ (Tempest Maiden Book 1) is also on sale for a limited time for only .99 cents for kindle (regularly $2.99).
 
 For more information about Alycia Christine please visit her website, Twitter and Facebook.

Giveaway:

a Rafflecopter giveaway This event was organized by CBB Book Promotions.  
 

4 comments:

  1. It's definitely a heavier fantasy that requires some time. I was kind of surprised that I got through it so quickly and easily because I knew it was a heavy fantasy. Such amazing descriptions though! Anyway, thank you so much for hosting a tour stop and sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Candace. ;) It really was a heavy fantasy novel and it was definitely a surprising and interesting read.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, and yes the synopsis does draw you in, but the cover I think is all wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I totally agree. It really doesn't look interesting enough..

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com