Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Review 'Resistance is Futile' by Jenny T. Colgan


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23503575-resistance-is-futile
Connie thinks she's never met anyone quite like Luke Beith before.

She has no idea how right she is.

As a high-ranking mathematician in a male-dominated field - with bright red hair - Connie's used to being considered a little unusual.

But she's nowhere near as peculiar as Luke, who is recruited to work alongside her on a top-secret code breaking project.

Just what is this bizarre sequence they're studying? It isn't a solution to the global energy crisis. It isn't a new wavelength to sell microwave ovens. The numbers are trying to tell them something . . . and it seems only Luke knows what.

The truth is out there. Will Connie dare to find it?

In this whirlwind adventure, Sunday Times bestselling author Jenny Colgan boldly goes where no author has gone before . . .

This book is available through Amazon and at Waterstones.

My Review:


When I was on my surprise birthday trip to London in August, I visited the Little Brown Book Group. On this trip I received ‘Resistance is Futile’, in exchange for my honest review. The cover was something that immediately grabbed my attention. It really pops and I think it definitely works for this book. This is the first book by Jenny T. Colgan I read.

In ‘Resistance is Futile’ we meet Connie, a mathematician with bright red hair. Not only Connie’s hair is something that makes you notice her, being a mathematician and a woman is also definitely reason to notice Connie. When Connie gets offered a job she immediately excepts, not knowing that this job involves working with a view other mathematicians and that it’s a top-secret code-breaking project. One of her new colleagues is Luke Beith. Luke is a very peculiar guy and definitely fascinates Connie.
Now they are forced to work on a project they don’t really know the purpose of, and gets more bizarre every day. Only Luke seems to know more.

This was definitely another kind of book, than the books I normally read. This book is fun, a little weird and really intriguing. I really loved how different it was. And most of all I loved that this book was about mathematicians. It was really fascinating, I never read about mathematicians in a book and it was really fun to get to know these characters and get a glimpse into their world. (Yep, from now on if I hear about a mathematician I will think about this book!!)

The best part about this book were the main character Connie and her colleagues Arnold,  Ranjit, Evelyn, Se and Luke. They were all very different but it was so much fun to get know these characters. I really think the author did an amazing job with making them so likable.
The fact that they were working on this secret project made this read even more fun. It definitely kept you guessing.

This book has romance, humor and some sci-fi in it and I definitely recommend this book to scientists or geek lovers like myself. This is such a fun, sci- fi read and definitely makes you laugh. 

My Rating:


About the Author:


Jenny T. Colgan was born in 1972 in Prestwick, Ayrshire, Scotland, UK. After studying at Edinburgh University, she worked for six years in the health service, moonlighting as a cartoonist and a stand-up comic, before the publication of her first novel Amanda's Wedding in 2000. In 2013, her novel "Welcome to Rosie Hopkin's Sweetshop of Dreams" won the Romantic Novel of the Year Award by the Romantic Novelists' Association. She is now working on her next novel. 

She is married with Andrew, a marine engineer, and had three children, Wallace, Michael-Francis, and Delphie. She mostly lives in France, with frequent visits to London. She occasionally writes for The Guardian newspaper, as well as a TV series.

Her Doctor Who novel Dark Horizons is published under the name Jenny T. Colgan.

For more information about Jenny T. Colgan please visit her website, Facebook or Twitter.

I received this book in exchange for my honest review from the Little, Brown Book Group.
 
https://www.littlebrown.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com