Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Review 'Cinder' by Marissa Meyer


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11235712-cinder
A wicked mash-up of fairy tale and Terminator—set in a Star Wars kind of world—Marissa Meyer's Cinder is a fresh and fiercely ingenious futuristic retelling of Cinderella.

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Facts:


Publication Date:    January 3rd, 2012
Series:                    The Lunar Chronicles #1
Genre:                    Young Adult, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Distopian
Pages:                    390
Formats:                 Paperback, Hardcover, eBook, Audiobook
Available at:            Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Indiebound, iBooks

My Review:


I’ve been wanting to read ‘Cinder’ for a very long time. Especially since I heard and read so many great things about this series. But also because I love Fairy tales, and this book supposedly was a different spin on one of the most well-known fairy tales of all time. Last week I decided to move some things in my reading schedule and finally started reading ‘Cinder’.

Well, where should I start? For one, why on earth did I wait so long to start reading this book?  I definitely need to make more time for the books on my TBR because I completely loved this book and should have read it ages ago!
From the moment I started reading ‘Cinder’, I couldn’t stop. Yes, this story is a spin on ‘Cinderella’, but it’s also very different. There are cyborgs, many sorts of androids and other kind of robots, and there are people from Lunar, a different planet. Although this book had many similarities to the original fairy tale, it also had a lot of different things in it. And man did I love it!!

Cinder is an amazing character. She is hardworking, kind and very brave. I especially admired how she was able to live with her stepmother and how she found the strength to stand up for herself when things got really tough.
What I also really loved was the way this futuristic world seemed so realistic. There were androids talking and Cinder herself was a cyborg, but while reading this book it all definitely sounded like this could be real. And although we all know how this fairy tales goes, this book definitely held some surprises.

And then there was Prince Kai. Sigh.. I loved how normal and kind he was. Yes, he was the Prince, but he never once acted like he was more than Cinder. What I also really enjoyed in this book was the way Cinder and Kai interacted. It was fun and definitely made you want to keep on reading. There was the start of romance.. but the end of this book definitely makes you want to get the next books in this series like yesterday.

I definitely recommend this book. I immediately ordered the next books in this series because I just can’t wait to know what happens next. 

My Rating:


About the Author:


Marissa Meyer is a fangirl at heart, with a closet full of costumes, a Harry Potter wand on her desk, and a Tuxedo Mask doll hanging from her rear view mirror. Han and Leia are still her OTP. She may or may not be a cyborg. 

Marissa writes books for teens, including the NYT bestselling series: The Lunar Chronicles.

For more information about Marissa Meyer please visit her website, or visit her on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and Goodreads.

4 comments:

  1. I've had this book on my to-read list for a long time as well, I still haven't bought my copy. I am not a fan of the fairytale retelling genre, so I thought that if I would give the genre a try this series is the one to read as everyone seem to enjoy these books.
    The futuristic twist to the story sounds interesting and I am glad it's also different formt he original story. I like the sound of the main character and how she's a cyborg. She sounds like a great character. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lola. This really is a great book and I really recommend it. The futuristic part was really amazing and I think it definitely made the whole fairy tale retelling part even better. I was really surprised how well the whole cyborg part fitted into the fairy tale part. To me, this book was even better than what I thought it would be like after reading all those other reviews.
      So go buy your copy!! ;) LOL

      Delete
  2. Yes....and for me the books only got better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to read the next books! They should be arriving around Saturday and I hope I'll have some free time to read the second book!! :D

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com