Monday, July 11, 2016

Blog Tour 'Peanuts & Eggcups' by Sara Mendes da Costa


Today I’m excited to participate in the Blog Tour of ‘Peanuts & Eggcups’ by Sara Mendes da Costa. This is a New Romantic Comedy and the author’s debut novel. ‘Peanuts & Eggcups’ was published on June 28th by Clink Street Publishing.

The Book:


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30648470-peanuts-eggcupsFor Maggie Parsons there’s only ever been one man: the stunningly delicious Luke Henderson. Unfortunately, he left her, without explanation, after their ‘first night’ together …breaking her heart  

Now ten years on, without any contact, he’s back and going to her school reunion. Great! And, to confuse matters…so is his suave, sexy, brother Tony who makes a major play for Maggie, then turns up with his insufferable - supposedly ex – fiancée! 

Via the reunion, a black eye, getting the sack (as a result) a madcap girlie holiday and juggling her confused emotions around the two alluring brothers…Maggie starts to build a picture of what she really wants in life. 

Trouble is, Maggie’s a pawn in a game she doesn’t even know she’s playing …and things are about to get a whole lot more complicated. 
in the process.

The Facts:


Publication Date:
June 28th, 2016
Series:
-
Genre:
Romantic Comedy
Pages:
727
Formats:
eBook, Paperback
Available at:

My Review:


A view weeks ago I received an email about the Blog Tour of ‘Peanuts & Eggcups’. After I read the book description of ‘Peanuts & Eggcups’ I just knew I had to read this book. This book sounded like so much fun. So I started reading as soon as possible.

Let me start by saying ‘Peanuts & Eggcups’ really was a great book! After a little slow first chapter, the main characters and the writing really got very good and so very funny. This book really made me laugh out loud many times and I just didn’t want to stop reading.
I especially loved the main character Maggie. Although she was a little immature at times, she really was a lot of fun to read about. At times I also really could relate to her. Maggie experienced a lot of clumsy moments and near disasters, which were funny and could definitely be written about me. LOL!!

What I also really loved about ‘Peanuts & Eggcups’ were the friendships. I loved reading about the friendship between Maggie and her best friend Catherine. Not only were those parts funny, but it was also very touching to read. It made me wish for a friendship like theirs.

So did I like everything about this read? No, there were a view things I didn’t like. For example the way Maggie reacted at times. She really was a little immature at some moments, which didn’t really fitted with her character if you ask me. But thankfully it didn’t bother me so much that it became irritating.
The other thing that bothered me a little was the length of this book. Don’t get me wrong. I loved this book, but 727 pages? Some parts in this book could have been a little less long if you ask me.

And the Romance?? Well, that was definitely something else. And since I don’t want to spoil anything you just have to read it for yourself. But it’s definitely different and very good. I loved it. I was definitely going for one guy, and then I changed my mind completely. Very interesting!! ;)

Overall this was a great and funny book that’s definitely perfect to read on a beautiful and sunny summer holiday. 

My Rating:

Extract:


My protagonist, Maggie, has her own moments of inspiration through the book. As time goes on she is growing and learning more about who she is, and in the following scene she’s about to leave her job in search of pastures new.

Her lovely office colleagues, her friends, Maureen, Craig and Bill remind of her of how she’s changed since joining the firm.

‘Do you remember when you started, Maggie?’ Maureen reminisced. ‘You were so scared. Now look at you, all grown up and capable.’
‘Capable? Me?’
‘Well, maybe not capable’ she admitted, ‘perhaps more confident.’
‘Thanks.’
‘No, sorry, not that you’re not capable, because of course you are, but you’ve become more assertive. Yes, that’s it, assertive,’ she finished happily.
It didn’t sound like me at all. Craig stepped in. ‘Streetwise, I think she means. Probably because I keep teaching you stuff.’
‘Of course, that’s bound to be it.’ I pinged a rubber band at his arm.
 ‘You’ve definitely changed though, Maggie,’ Bill joined in. ‘Maureen’s right. You’ve grown a lot more confident, especially lately.’
Had I? What could they see that I couldn’t? As I worked, their words washed over me. I thought back to when I’d joined CapiTel. I’d certainly been less sure of myself then, partly due to being on the phones and partly because I hadn’t really wanted the job in the first place. But then when I’d moved across to marketing, it had been because I’d seen an opportunity to do something I thought I’d be good at. For a while at least, I’d enjoyed it and had been challenged by the role. Something twigged inside me. The reason I’d been so bored of late was that I’d achieved what I’d set out to learn. I’d got on top of my job, and there was nowhere else to expand to. Just because we’d lost a client and, OK, I’d mucked up a bit with the black eye, didn’t mean I hadn’t done a good job, because I had. I’d been promoted and I’d also been given more responsibility as time had gone on. I’d actually done this job well, despite any impressions that Justin may have given me to the contrary. I began to feel differently about what was happening. Differently about what my leaving meant to me and my life. This was absolutely the right thing to do. Suddenly my future looked different, brighter. I actually had a future. I saw myself through the eyes of my colleagues – my friends. They were right; I had changed and now I needed more of a challenge, whatever that might be. Catherine had also been right. The holiday would be a chance to think things through and plan my next career move. A feeling of well-being washed over me and I beamed at the others.
‘Hope you’ve got me a decent leaving present!’ I said, ‘Unlike my birthday, Craig!’
‘Every girl should have a blow-up doll, it’s the rule,’ he answered, defensively.
‘A female one?’
‘Yeah, well, I’d have felt like a bleedin’ poof in the shop asking the geezer for a bloke doll. Besides, this way, it gives me something to think about when I’m…’
‘Yes, OK, OK,’ I showed him my palm, ‘I think I get the picture. Anyway, I don’t actually use it you know.’
Shut up! You’ll ruin a good fantasy.’

The Blog Tour:



About the Author:



Sara Mendes da Costa is the voice of the BT Speaking Clock; the fourth person to hold this prestigious title since 1936.

A successful, world-renowned voiceover artist, her dulcet tones are easily recognisable on television, radio, film and across countless media.

Never far from the press, she’s known for her appearances on BBC Breakfast, ITV This Morning, Children in Need, Wake up to Wogan and The Today Programme, and balances her prolific voiceover career with her passion and commitment as a novelist.

Peanuts & Eggcups, her debut novel - hotly anticipated by the industry - is “The perfect & highly addictive reading companion for women’s fiction fans”. `

A lover of laughter, creativity, great storytelling and a wee dram, Sara adores writing novels and seeks to entertain, uplift and inspire. 

Her upcoming novels: Time & Time Again & Maggie Ever After, are expected in 2017.

For more information about Sara Mendes da Costa please visit her website, or visit her on Facebook and Twitter.

I received this book from Authoright in exchange for my honest review.
http://www.authoright.com/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com