Friday, November 11, 2016

Discussion: What Makes You Want To Read a Book?


As a fanatic reader and book blogger I love reading book discussions. And since I also love having my own book blog I decided to post a book discussion myself. So join me on my little book discussion journey and let’s have some fun!  

There are many books I still want to read. Books that I’ve already got waiting for me on my bookshelves, books on my eReader and books that are on my TBR list. And every year I always find books that have been published for years but I somehow never read before, and didn’t really want to read before. But they get a new cover, or I keep reading these amazing things about those books and somehow, suddenly I find myself wanting to read those books too.

But what is it that makes me want to read a book? Is it because I know the author, and I’ve read previous books by the author before that I really enjoyed? Is it because I really like the way the cover looks? Is it because I keep reading nice things about the book? Is it because the book description sounds great? Or is it simply because everyone seems to have read that book but me?

For me it’s probably all of the above. I wish I could say that a nice cover didn’t make me want to read a book more than without the pretty cover. But to be honest a nice cover makes me want to pick up a book faster. For example I love the covers of Harry Potter and the Twilight series and I read those books long before they became a hype. The cover of the Games of Thrones books never really did it for me, and I only remember picking the first book up because I’d been hearing a lot about those books.

And I also definitely pick a book because everybody is reading it and I want to know why. For example ‘The Girl on the Train’. That book didn’t really spark my interest at first. But when I kept hearing everybody talking about it, and when I read there would be a movie, I knew I had to read the book too.

The books I look forward to the most are the ones of authors I’ve read books from before, or the ones I read many great reviews about. I for one can’t wait to read the new book from Stephanie Meyer. I loved her Twilight books, and I’m really curious to read a totally different book from her.


So what makes you want to read a book? Is it only the cover, the author or a book description? Or is it the combination?


10 comments:

  1. Always an author I know, after that the cover grabs me, and if the synopsis looks promising I am all in. This applies to all the genres I read. I will say bloggers make a huge impact on my decision to read a new to me author or genre. Last, my mood. I go through spells where I want all thrillers or romance etc and that has me one clicking. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mood is definitely also a great part of which book I'm going to read. Sometimes I really want to read a nice romance, and other days I prefer a mystery or thriller.
      Thanks for stopping by Kimberly.

      Delete
  2. Books by authors I've already read and enjoyed are sometimes even auto-buys for me - and I pre-order them as soon as it's possible to make sure I don't forget about them in the grand scheme of things.
    Covers don't play a big role for me - I will definitely notice a gorgeous cover, but that alone is not enough to make me want to read a book. It might make me want to read the summary to see if the book is one I think I'd enjoy :)
    Great topic, Maureen!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost never pre- order a book. I'm afraid if I start doing it, I won't be able to stop. LOL!!
      It's nice that a cover doesn't play a big role for you.. Most times a cover really is why I pick a book up. But if I already know the author I will pick it up even though the cover isn't that fancy.
      Thanks for stopping by Lexxie.

      Delete
  3. For me it's partly all of those things you listed as well. I am pretty author loyal and if I read a book by an author that I enjoyed I am more likely to pick up their other books. Cover and book description also play a big part in deciding whether I want to read a book. But sometimes even if those don't catch my attention a review form another reader/ blogger can convince me I want to read the book. And sometimes there is a lot of hype surrounding a book or a lot of my blogging friends read a book that I do get curious about it too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reviews from other bloggers really are important right?! I'm starting to realize more and more that I really buy a lot of books because I read a great review about them. How awesome is that!! I love that we can do that for each other.
      Thanks for stopping by Lola!

      Delete
  4. Great post, and I agree! Covers are definitely a thing for me, and if I like an author I'm very much inclined to read more. And I never really thought I bought into book hype much, but come to think of it yeah I do. The Girl on the Train is a good example- I like a good thriller but that was one was definitely a case of hearing so much about it, I decided to read it after initially not being interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I also always like to think hypes doesn't affect me.. But they really do. There are plenty of books I only start reading because I kept hearing about them so much.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. So many things. The author, the cover, hype, a great price. All those make me buy or borrow a book and then I just read it whenever the mood hits. Which could be minutes, days, months or years later! And I can't wait for the new Stephanie Meyer book either.
    Looking forward to more discussion posts in the future Maureen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish. A great price is definitely also a great point. Most times I will definitely wait with buying a book because it's just not a good price yet. But if I really really really want to read a book as fast as I can.. I but without really looking at the price.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com