Friday, January 13, 2017

Adventures in Nursing #1: Becoming a Nurse



Next to being a book blogger and a fanatic reader I work fulltime as a Nurse in an Academic Hospital in the Netherlands. Since being a nurse is such a big part of my life I decided it’s time to share some of my adventures in nursing here on my blog.

Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to become a nurse. I remember seeing an episode of ER and I saw that awesome head nurse. I just knew I wanted to become like her. Growing up I  played ‘hospital’ with my friend and I became fascinated with the human body and taking care of people. Although being a nurse in real life and living in the Netherlands is very different than what you see in ER and Grey’s Anatomy, my dream of becoming a Nurse never changed. 

My road to becoming a nurse wasn’t always very easy. People I was close to told me I could never become a nurse because I was too soft. And my mom and I really didn’t have a lot of money. But with help from my family, and the undying support of my mom I began my nursing education when I was just barely sixteen. 

Nursing school was especially in the beginning hard for me. Being an perfectionist, and desperate to proof I had it in me to become a nurse, I studied and worked hard. Those early years one of my biggest supporters was my grandfather. He sadly passed away when I was just in my first year of nursing school but he made sure that whenever I doubted myself I could find the strength to go on. I helped take care of him on his last days, and those moments definitely made me into the nurse I am today. I’m proud to be his granddaughter!

When I was nineteen years old I got my first Nursing degree. (We have two nursing degrees here in the Netherlands: MBO and HBO. There’s not a lot of differences but with the HBO degree you have more or easier opportunities for going to the ER and ICU etc.) I’d been an intern at a home for elderly, I worked with mentally disabled people and I worked on two different wards in an small hospital. I loved every single internship, but I’d always known I wanted to work in the hospital.

After my last internship I was offered a job. Since it was my dream to work in a hospital, I agreed immediately. I learned a lot in those first view months as a nurse. But I knew I wanted to keep growing and study more. 

So in 2009 I started another nursing school. I will never regret that decision, but boy was it hard work! I worked fulltime in an Academic Hospital and I went to school one day a week. There was a lot of homework and I didn’t have much of a life next to work and school. Thankfully I already lived with my boyfriend at that point, and he supported me through everything. Even through my little mental breakdowns! I worked on the Cardiothoracic surgery ward, and the Traumatology ward. Both wards were just amazing and I learned so much!

In September 2011 I got my second nursing degree and my life as a nurse could really properly begin!


Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer.
These views are based on my own experiences and my own interpretations in my life as a nurse.

2 comments:

  1. I always find it interesting to hear about other people their jobs. Being a nurse is something I could never do, thinking about the human body and how things work freaks me out. So I think it's great you can do that and work with sick people all day. That's nice you got so much support during your studies, that really helps a lot to have people close to you who support you. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lola. Without all that support I never would have made it to were I am today!
      I suppose everyone has things he loves to do. I was always fascinated with the human body and how everything worked. Big wounds, taking blood etc. It's all fascinating to me.
      Thanks for stopping by! ;)

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com